Saturday, February 22, 2014

Feeling Blueberries & Going Coconuts Freedom Toast


Shit, I forgot to take a picture with the syrup on it.

It's unusual for me to cook breakfast food as well being a rarity for me to make sugary food since I'm NOT a morning person and don't have a sweet-tooth.  Last night, while watching the Olympics, I found myself rooting for other countries due to getting irritated with seeing the smug mugs of American athletes.  So, I've named this Freedom Toast in an attempt to be more patriotic.

This was supposed to be a nice breakfast for my BF. Yesterday I had grandiose plans of waking up a little early to do some chores and serve him breakfast in bed... But I was too depressed this morning to peel my blue ass from bed until almost noon.  As soon as I woke up, depressing thoughts rushed into my head, nailing me to my bed:  The weekend is meaningless if you don't have a job.  No family or friends will be visiting, why clean?  Thus, it became brunch, and the blueberries were added to compliment my mood.     Boom.

The coconut bread was freshly baked at the 99 Ranch bakery, an Asian grocery store in South Sac.  My hapa foodie friend Ally recommended it to me, so I gave it a whirl despite having a slight paranoia (racist ideas) about the (lack of) cleanliness in non-white bread grocery stores.  

I decided to use coconut milk because soy milk tastes like chalky water when used for cooking purposes.  We aren't lactose intolerant... cow's milk is just gross until it becomes cheese.

2.5 tbsp butter
1/2 Loaf of coconut bread
4 small eggs from neighbor's chickens
1/2 can light coconut milk 
some cinnamon
powdered sugar
blueberries
maple syrup

Melt the butter in the microwave in a shallow bowl.  Add in the butter, coconut milk, eggs, & cinnamon beat with a fork until smooth.  Dip bread in mixture, toss on pan or griddle immediately. After the first side is cooked, flip it and add blueberries to pan (shake them around) until second side is done.  top with powdered sugar and maple syrup.  take a picture, and then eat it.







No comments:

Post a Comment